Monday, December 17, 2018

Two Words


Saturday morning, I sent a text to my friend. She had been on my mind. I knew her brother, who had been battling cancer, was sick again and I wanted her to know I was thinking about her and hoped he was doing well...and I was available if she needed anything. I hadn't talked to her in a while {other than quick texts here and there}. I thought he had been doing better, but through recent Instagram posts, saw he wasn't.

Several hours went by after I sent that text Saturday morning. My Saturday continued in it's usual manner...class, lunch, errands, laundry...
Just as I was pulling in to pick up my dry cleaning my phone pinged. I glanced down and saw two words on my screen. 

He's gone.

I caught my breath in my throat and my heart sank. Oh my beautiful friend! Her Saturday had been anything but usual.

I'm not writing this to tell their story. It's not mine to tell. I just wanted to remember this moment because of the incredible family behind it.

This family is the one we all envy. They are big and loud and fun. And so close. You don't have to spend much time with them to feel the love they have for each other. Oh, I'm sure they have their moments. I'm sure they fight and get mad at one another, but they would also be the first to stick up for each other. No matter what. 

They are picture perfect with their big family dinners...set up in the backyard with white lights strung about. {Think Parenthood} Homemade foods and cakes adorn the tables. Kids and dogs running around the big grassy playground. Wine. Laughter. Lots and lots of laughter. They celebrate each other in every way. 


They are a beautiful family and I feel lucky to know them. Although my heart hurts for them,  I know he was loved more than humanly possible and his memory will live on. Every time they have their heart warming, laughter filled, loving family dinners he will be there.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you lived and lived well." - Ralph Waldo Emerson